*This post may contain affiliate links. Purchases made from these links help with any costs associated with running this site, at no additional cost to you. I only recommend products and services I use and believe in! You can find my full disclosure here.
Homemade dry pinto beans from scratch have never been easier! No soaking is required! Are you ready to learn how to slow cook pinto beans in the Instant pot?
It’s super easy!
Let’s do this!
Real quick though…if you’ve been having trouble finding BULK PINTO BEANS in the store due to the “rona”:
You can find a 20lb bag of pinto beans at Walmart.com! Free shipping. We all love that. ♥
You can watch the YouTube Short I created for these beans here!If you're not using the slow cook function on your Instant Pot you aren't using it to its full potential. Click To Tweet
How to Slow Cook Pinto Beans in The Instant Pot.
Just four steps!
- Wash 4 cups of pinto beans – The easiest way to wash your beans is to put them in a bowl, fill it with water and swish it around with your hand. Drain off the dirty water and repeat. Usually, I do this 3-4 times or until the water looks clear.
- Put the beans in the Instant Pot liner – Put 4 cups of pinto beans in the liner of your Instant Pot. Add fresh water to the pot up to the PC MAX line. You will need a glass lid! A dinner plate WILL NOT work, it will only make a super hot mess. You need to allow some air to escape because the beans will be lightly simmering.
How to Slow Cook Pinto Beans in The Instant Pot, Step 3:
- Add 1 tsp. baking soda – Here is an awesome article explaining the super scientific reason for using baking soda when cooking dry beans. The simple low down is, that baking soda helps them cook faster!
Beans, beans, the magical fruit. The more you eat the more you toot. The more you toot, the better you feel. So eat beans with every meal! Click To Tweet
How to Slow Cook Pinto Beans in The Instant Pot, Step 4:
- Push the slow cook button on your Instant Pot – until you see MORE. Each time you push the slow cook button the setting changes. The three setting options are LESS, NORMAL, AND MORE. LESS is the same as the warm setting on a regular slow cooker. The NORMAL setting is the same as medium and MORE is the same as high on a regular slow cooker.
Now you can adjust the time by pushing the plus or minus button on the Instant Pot.
It only takes four hours and you will have PERFECTLY cooked pinto beans!
Cooking pinto beans using the slow cook option on an Instant Pot probably seems goofy. Seeing as how you can easily use the pressure cook button and get them done in about half the time.There is a method to this madness! Click To Tweet
Depending on what you want from your beans will be what is the deciding factor on whether to pressure cook or slow cook.
Also, there’s that whole personal preference thing.
Why Use The Slow Cook Function When Pressure Cooking is Faster??!
Pressure cooking has its place when it comes to cooking beans. I personally haven’t been thrilled with the texture of pinto beans when I have pressure-cooked them. They tend to be a bit toothy. Sort of tough, if you will. But only the skins. The inside is soft but the skin is tough.
Hope that makes sense.
That said, pressure-cooked beans are great for putting in chili, soup, or stews. And also hold up amazingly well in the freezer!
I have always cooked my beans in a slow cooker and absolutely LOVE how they come out.
Slow-cooked beans create their very own gravy.
Which doesn’t happen with pressure-cooked beans. The liquid from pressure-cooked beans is much thinner.
Slow-cooked pinto beans are perfect for eating in a bowl with a little salt and pepper and of course a piece of homemade cornbread!Beans and cornbread. How does something so simple taste SOOO good?! Click To Tweet
Instant Pot Slow-cooked Pinto Beans
- Instant Pot or a Slow-cooker
- 4 cups dry pinto beans washed and drained.
- 8-10 cups fresh clean water **Fill the Instant Pot liner with water up to the PC MAX water line.**
- 1 tsp baking soda
- Wash your dry pinto beans thoroughly! Three to four rinses ought to be good. Drain off the dirty water.
- Put the washed beans in the Instant pot liner. Add clean water to the PC MAX fill line on your Instant Pot liner.
- Place your glass lid on the Instant Pot and push the slow cook button until it says MORE.
- Push the plus or minus button until the time reads 4 hours (4:00). When the Instant Pot timer goes off, your beans are done!
Oh, I almost forgot!
If you like refried beans, you HAVE to try my recipe!! They are the best beans EVERRRRRR!
CHECK OUT THE VIDEO: Authentic refried beans recipe, homemade!
Looking for more Instant Pot recipes to try? I got you 🙂 ♥
- Instant Pot Greek Yogurt Recipe, Easy Dump & Go No Straining!
- Instant Pot French Dip Sandwiches!
- The Best Ever Instant Pot Spinach Artichoke-Dip Pasta!
- Instant Pot Spaghetti With Homemade Sauce!
- Instant Pot Guinness BBQ Baby Back Ribs Recipe
- American Vegetable Goulash!
- Pressure-cooker Corned Beef and Cabbage Recipe, so Tender!
Did you make this recipe? Leave me a comment and tag me on Instagram!